Forget about time management, get great about choice management.
Before we lived in a more stable and static environment, there were fewer interruptions at work. Today there is a lot more of uncertainty and there are constant interruptions.
- Accept that you will never have enough time
- Decide to do a little and do what you decide to do so well that has an impact
- Ensure that what you do is of value
- Prioritise against pay-off; not against what is easy or who is shouting the loudest
- Push back on interruptions
- Choose don’t react
- Do not manage time, manage your decisions
Further reading: Nicholas Bate. Instant MBA: Think, perform and earn like a top business-school graduate (52 Brilliant Ideas). Infinite Ideas, 2008.