Basically an e-commerce site has the following business objectives:
- Maximise sales and profit
- Be usable
- Be useful
Best practices in e-commerce:
- Collect email address and provide visitors with a compelling reason for giving you the information.
- Make order tracking easy, let customers to check order status and see when they expect it to arrive.
- Encourage feedback, make it easy for visitors to tell you what they think.
- Make finding stuff easy and provide multiple ways for visitors to find what they are looking for, or to make a purchasing decision.
- Provide value added services like gift wrapping, pick up in-store, pre-order soon to be available items or run a wish list.
- Show the product providing multiple views from different angles, zoom, if applicable show the product in isolation and in context.
- Allow customer reviews happy and not-happy customers, experts and staff.
- Encourage user-generated content.
- Make shipping costs transparent from the beginning this is one of the main reasons of shopping cart abandonment.
- Work in conversion funnels and optimise the checkout process making this process as rapid and simple as possible.
Top reasons why people leave their shopping carts:
- Shipping and handling costs
- Not ready to shop the product
- Wanted to compare prices on other sites
- Item was priced too high
How to get shoppers to return:
- Show delivery and payment options upfront and at the beginning of the checkout process
- Offer free or reduced shipping
- Don’t force registration before the sale has been made
- Provide options to save content of the cart
- Safe and secure checkout
- Display customer support and contact info