We know that programs are longer-term collections of related projects and other activities that will be managed in a coordinated way.
A Program manager goal is not about managing the details of each individual project, but rather about managing the big picture, in order to achieve the strategic objectives and realise the benefits for which the program is designed.
Program Manager tasks:
Program Manager is responsible for leading and managing the program from its initial set up, through the delivery of new capabilities and realisation of benefits to program closure. The program manager has primary responsibility for successful delivery of the new capabilities and establishing program governance.
- Managing the inter-dependencies between the individual projects in the program
- Prioritising issues that arise from different projects
- Making sure the strategic goals and objectives of the organisation for which the projects are being executed
- Realisation of benefits from the program
- Management of stakeholders
- Management of program risks
- Oversee the projects in the program and provide high level guidance to the project managers
Management Skills of a Program Manager:
- Change: not only expect change but actively encourage it in order to maximise the strategic benefits of the program
- Leadership Style: focus on managing relationships, conflict resolution and the political aspects of stakeholder management
- Management skills: need to provide overall vision and leadership
- People Management: manage the project managers
- Planning: responsible for performing high level planning and providing guidance to project managers for their detailed project planning
- Success: measured in terms of return on investment (ROI), benefit realization and new operational capabilities delivered by the program